Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Goodbye Yasmine El-Rufai

At a dinner on Wednesday 29th June 2011, I overheard a young shy looking lady insisting that those of us in the Diaspora need to go back home and help in making Nigeria better, she then added that she would be doing just that as soon as she able to round up her studies and commitments in the United Kingdom.

I moved in and joined the discussion, found her quite articulate, intelligent and eloquent, I couldn’t but ask for her name and in a shy note she calmly said “I am Yasmine El-Rufai”, now I see where you got your eloquence from I said, she smiled and made a joke about her dad getting tips from her, we all laughed and I moved on, that was the first and only time I’d speak to Yasmine and it came to me as a rude shock when I heard she passed away at such a young age.

I call on my friends to join me in praying for the soul of Yasmine, that God will forgive her sins, receive her and protect her soul and her family the strength to hold on strong, for those she left behind may God keep the good times she spent with them as that golden gift that would never be erased.

Yasmine El-Rufai, is the eldest daughter of Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, former minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), she passed away suddenly in her London apartment on Nov. 26, Yasmine held a bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of Bath, UK and a master’s degree from the London School of Economics (LSE). She also had a law degree from the University of London.